Vista speciality cliNic

Best Gastroenterologist in Bangalore

Why do you have chronic cough ?

Why do you have chronic cough ?

Contact Us

Is your cough serious ? Why do you have a chronic cough but not feeling sick ?Please read this health snippet to educate yourself and get timely advice for your near and dear ones. 

Chronic cough can have many causes, and determining the underlying reason is important for finding the right treatment. Some common causes of chronic cough include: 

Postnasal drip: Mucus dripping down the back of the throat from the sinuses can irritate the throat and cause a cough. 

Asthma: Chronic inflammation in the airways can cause wheezing, shortness of breath, and a persistent cough. 

Acid reflux: Stomach acid that flows back into the esophagus can irritate the throat and cause a persistent cough. 

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): A group of lung diseases that cause breathing difficulties and a persistent cough. 

Infections: Chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, or other respiratory tract infections can cause a persistent cough.

Bronchiolitis obliterans: A rare condition that causes inflammation and narrowing of the small airways in the lungs, leading to a persistent cough. 

Side effects of medications: Some medications, such as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, can cause a persistent cough. 

It’s important to see a doctor if you have a chronic cough, as there are many potential causes and some may require medical treatment. Your doctor can perform a physical exam, review your medical history, and order tests, such as a chest X-ray or pulmonary function test, ENT examination , bronchoscopy or endoscopy to determine the cause of your chronic cough.


The author of this blog, Dr Santhosh Kumar is a gastroenterologist 

practising in Bangalore. To contact the doctor click here


Dr Santhosh Kumar SC,

MBBS MD DNB is a Gastroenterologist, hepatologist and therapeutic endoscopist practicing in Bangalore.

(The above blog is for educational purposes. Please consult a GI specialist/Gastroenterologist for evaluation and treatment of your condition)

Share this:

Like this:

%d bloggers like this: